A law firm based in San Jose specializing in Family Law and Estate Planning is looking for a Legal Assistant to perform a wide variety of complex administrative duties for our Family Law and Estate Planning team. This position would assist and support the activities of a group of Attorneys.
About the Job
Duties include: Heavy calendaring, filing, and other related work as required to enhances attorney effectiveness by developing case information. The candidate must be a team player and exhibit strong organization skills and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with close attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness.
· Must be well organized and very detail-oriented to ensure excellent judgment and make important decisions within the scope of their duties on a daily basis.
· Ability to juggle multiple activities and work under pressure and take full ownership of assigned tasks
· Possess a general understanding of family law and estate planning issues, subpoena process, trial preparation and familiarity with trial rules
· Proven working experience as legal assistant
· Familiarity with Family law, legal procedure and court system
· Proficiency in MS Office and experience with Abacus, TimeSlips and other software applications.
· Monitor deadlines, enter attorney time, managing multiple calendars
· Create and prepare legal records including pleadings, motions and manage discovery documents
· Gather, organize and copy materials for use as evidence in legal proceedings; including exhibits, pleadings, and interrogatories confirming case status with attorney
· Research laws and court decisions for use in the preparation of cases, opinions, pleading, briefs and other legal documents.
· Arrange for the filing of court documents
· Knowledge of constitution, legal terminology, regulations and court system
Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with 1+ years’ experience as a Legal Assistant in Family Law and Estate Planning and possession of a paralegal certification and notary is a plus.
Successful candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of legal documents, be highly organized, detail-oriented, and be able to multi-task. This is a great opportunity with competitive salary and great benefits. The position requires an individual that is resourceful and can work autonomously, proactively, and demonstrate excellent follow-through for various administrative roles.