Divorce is rarely fun. Nevertheless, divorce and painful litigation don’t always go hand-in-hand. For many couples, divorce mediation could be the best way to dissolve your marriage, protect your children, and maintain a mature relationship with your spouse.
In family law mediation, a neutral mediator works with a divorcing couple to creatively reach an agreement on some or all of the issues in their divorce. Experienced family law mediators are typically attorneys that understand the legal landscape. A well-versed mediator can help you and your spouse reach a settlement on all aspects of your marriage—financial distribution, child custody, and even child and spousal support.
The mediator does not represent either spouse, but is instead an unbiased facilitator who uses unique strategies that will result in an agreement that meets the needs of both parties. Once all of the issues are covered, the mediator will help the parties create a marital settlement agreement to memorialize their arrangement. At this stage, each party should consult their own attorney to ensure that the agreement is fair and in each party’s best interest. Finally, the agreement is sent to the family court where the agreement will be signed off as an enforceable court order.
Here are just a few reasons why you and your spouse should consider mediating your divorce:
- The non-adversarial aspect of mediation can help your and your ex maintain a better, more mature relationship.
- Mediation will allow you to keep your “dirty laundry” private, while family law litigation requires parties to discuss their personal issues on the public record.
- Because mediation doesn’t require several filings, voluminous court costs, or extensive attorney’s fees, you may be able to reduce your expenses.
- Mediation can be much easier on children than family law litigation.
- You and your spouse are in charge of the results of your divorce instead of a family law judge.
- Mediation may enable you and your spouse to reach an agreement much faster than in typical litigation.
Remember, divorce does not have to involve litigation. At Lonich Patton Ehrlich Policastri, we provide divorce mediation services to clients throughout the Silicon Valley. Michael E. Lonich facilitates all family law mediations handled by the firm, and he is widely regarded as one of Silicon Valley’s most effective mediators. Michael works closely with parties to help them shape the decisions that will be drafted into the marital settlement agreement. In addition to handling divorce mediations, he has extensive experience in handling business law litigation. He draws on his business background when mediating divorce matters for business owners, executives, foreign nationals and their spouses.
Please note that family law mediation is not recommended for couples with domestic violence issues. If you have any questions about divorce mediation, or divorce in general, and would like to speak to an attorney, please contact Lonich Patton Ehrlich Policastri for a free initial consultation. Our attorneys can be reached by phone at (408) 553-0801 or through the intake form on our Contact Us page.
Please remember that each individual situation is unique and results discussed in this post are not a guarantee of future results. While this post may detail general legal issues, it is not legal advice. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship.